Lazy French Onion Soup
Serves 2 generously.
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 medium to large onion, cut in half and then sliced thinly
1 packet French Onion Soup mix
2-2/3 cups water
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese (or Swiss, or Jack, whatever white cheese you happen to have.)
2 slices stale rye bread
1 clove of garlic
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Melt one tablespoon of butter over med-low heat in a medium sized saucepan. Add sliced onions. Cook onion until soft and caramelized, around 15-25 minutes. (Really. Don't rush this. The more patient you can be, the better the soup will taste.)
- When the onion is soft and brown and sweet smelling, add soup mix, water and wine. Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for five minutes.
- While soup is simmering toast bread.
- Crack the clove of garlic and scrape the broken edge over the warm toast. Butter toast.
- Ladle soup into two ovenproof bowls. Float garlic toast, butter side down, on soup. Sprinkle cheese evenly over the toast.
- Bake in preheated oven until cheese is melted.
- Dig in, but remember, the bowl will be hot! Don't burn yourself!!